Advocacy is the deliberate process of influencing those who make policy decisions
10 Steps in Advocacy
1. DEFINE THE PROBLEM - What is the issue?
2. SPELL OUT THE SOLUTION - Define your goals.
3. DETERMINE YOUR RIGHTS - Locate and review the appropriate regulations and procedures.
4. WHO WILL DETERMINE WHAT HAPPENS? - Who makes the decisions?
5. PREPARE YOUR CASE - Get your paperwork and documentation in order. Plan a strategy. Try to separate feelings from facts.
6. PLAN - Write an agenda.
7. ACT - Make the phone call or write the letter. Be assertive not aggressive.
8. EVALUATE YOUR RESULTS - What was the outcome? Will you need to follow-up? How do you feel about the results?
9. FOLLOW-UP - Take any necessary follow-up steps. Decide what to do next.
10. CELEBRATE - Even small victories should be celebrated. Congratulate yourself for taking the steps to resolve your problem.